A Brief View of Hollywood Farms' History
Mr. John Chapman; first owner, entrepreneur, cotton farmer & one of Twiggs County’s wealthiest mid-nineteenth century citizens.
The land was deeded by his father William Chapman (d. 1848). The Chapman family were landowners since 1807. William Chapman drew Land Lot #111 during 1807 Land Lottery. In 1830, John Chapman acquired Land Lot #112 & part of lot #85. John Chapman married 4 times (d. 1892) & had 9 children. His last wife & children ran Hollywood Farms until 19o6.
Hollywood Farms is sold to Mrs. Pearl Nappier O’Daniel, wife of Dr. Mark H O’Daniel (1861-1915); important Twiggs County physician.
Dr. O’Daniel worked 8 years in the Insane Asylum in Milledgeville and then set up office at Hollywood Farms. In 1905, he became the first president of the Twiggs County Medical Association.
Post Dr. O’Daniel's death, Hollywood Farms is sold to William B. Gettys (1863-1926)
Mr. Gettys was credited with building the timber industry in Twiggs Country. He purchased large tracks of timberland around Jeffersonville and he built a large & highly successful sawmill. In 1918, he moved to Hollywood Farms.
Mrs. Elois (Lois) Gettys Duggan (daughter of William B Gettys) married Charles Duggan in 1931. They, along with their son, Dr. Charles A. Duggan, Jr, developed the plantation into a modern agricultural operation; including commercial dairy, cattle breeding stock, timberlands, high-quality Bermuda hay, and contract grass and tree planting.
In 1982 Hollywood, also known as The John Chapman Plantation, was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Dr. Charles Duggan, Jr, officially retired as a radiologist in 1993 and became fully immersed in his farming roots at Hollywood. Along with his son, Chuck, they enjoyed the land and timber management and hosting quail hunts for friends and family.
Before his death in 2019, Dr. Charles Duggan, Jr, created the Duggan Family Partnership with his four children as partners to ensure the continued heritage of this family landmark.
The Duggan children and grandchildren decide to shape responsibly the next 100 years of Hollywood Farms.
The family continually invests in preserving the architecture, ensuring the well-being of the land, helping their community, and enriching the wildlife; all while welcoming guests from across the United States & the world to enjoy the uniqueness of this magical place.
The Hollywood Name
Hollywood Farms was so named for the bountiful native American Holly trees that tuck themselves into the wooded hillsides around the farm. You will find a variety of hollies dotted around the foundation of the house as well.